The Select block enables you to keep or discard variables in a dataset.
The following demonstrates how to use the Select block to retain the Author variable from the lib_books.csv dataset (which contains observations that describe a range of books available from a lending library):
- Import the lib_books.csv dataset onto a Workflow canvas using the Text File Import block.
- Expand the Data Preparation group in the Workflow palette, then click and drag a Select block onto the Workflow canvas.
- Click the Output port of the lib_books dataset block and drag a connection towards the Input port of the Select block.
- Double-click the Select block to display the Configure Select dialog box.
- In the Configure Select dialog box:
- In the Unselected Variables list, select Author.
- Click Select to move the variable to the Selected Variables list.
- Click OK to save the configuration and close the Configure Select dialog box.
A green execution status is displayed in the Output ports of the Select block and the new Working Dataset. The output dataset contains only the Author variable from the input lib_books dataset.